DIY Rope braid tutorial

Hello handpan friends :slight_smile:
I was looking for something I could craft during this quarantine and I stumbled across handpan rope braids which are used to cover the rim and decorate the handpan. I found a tutorial for the Rav, but I was wondering if anyone had ever done one for their handpan. I guess the measurement for lenght and width would be slightly different.

Cheers!

4 Likes

@David I noticed you shared this link in the list of 20 things to do at home. Did you figure out the length of the ropes for the diameter of handpans?

Hi, all. I make braids with jute rope, and looks, you need 1.8x2 m for borders and 22m for the braid (depends of your rope and knots).

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing, Anton. That’s beautiful!

I’m into making my own rims during the quarantine! I love making them, it’s fun but it takes time. I experimented with t-shirt yarn rope which I like more than plastic rope, then I dyed the yarn on my preference. If you have any question I’ll be happy to help. Can’t upload pics here because my phone has an issue.
Have you continued your project?

1 Like

Hey! I completed the rope, but it didn’t turn out as I expected. I used a rope which was too smooth (probably made of some kind of plastic/synthetic fiber) and the knots moved all around the handpan, so I had to give up on it

1 Like