Homemade Carrying Bag for my Handpan!

Hello everyone!
I’m between exams at the moment, so I thought I would share a project that I did last year. As my Design Exam Project last year I made a handpan carrying bag with a focus on redesign and using secondhand materials.

The whole thing is made out of secondhand denim skirts, leftover cottons from other sewing projects, and some thick soy-cotton blend I found at a flea market. Even the zippers and buckles are from clothes and gear that has been sacrificed to the redesign cause!

The project was a five-week process, during which I made miniatures and mockups, as well as some 30-40 test patches for figuring out design and techniques. I boiled the whole thing down to more of a display-friendly format here - so I hope you enjoy, and maybe even get a little inspired :wink: :yellow_heart:

25 Likes

Super beautiful and ecological project I love that. Does that case protect the handpan from beats or its only to carry?

1 Like

Thank you! It’s padded by a folded and quilted fabric that sits inbetween the outer shells and the casing for the pan. So I would say it has a light to medium padding. It’s not as safe as the turtle bag that came with it, but it makes up for that in being smaller and more handy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yo this is beautiful and so inspiring! I love the zipper pouch :ok_hand: Way to go with the upcycling! I bet your handpan can feel the love whenever you’re carrying it around now :flying_saucer: :heart:

Keep it up and please share any new projects!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :yellow_heart: I’m really proud of the outer pockets, since I’ve never made anything like them before, and I just sat down and figured it out :blush:
I’m trying out some different materials and techniques to macramé around the edge of the pan itself, I’ll post that when it’s done :wink:

2 Likes

It’s really beautiful! I want one!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m very glad you like it! :yellow_heart:
I have been considering to make and sell more of my artwork and practical crafts. I will definitely let you know if I make another bag, I’d be happy to discuss size, price, and preferences in colors and styles!

1 Like

@markessio_892 on insta let me know :blush:

1 Like

Love it! Such a unique design! Just beautiful

1 Like

Thank you very much! It’s meant to represent an abstracted sunset :yellow_heart:

1 Like

It’s a perfect way showing the connection of nature and the sound.

1 Like

Funnily enough, the theme for the assignment was “Ro/Uro” which means “Calm/Unrest”, and we were limited to gathering inspiration in the Royal Park in Oslo. So, naturally, I sat in the park and played during a brilliant sunset, and that’s where the whole idea originated. The whole calm/unrest contrast fit perfectly :smiley:

2 Likes

Beautiful work Oeyan, happy for you!
I am inspired to recycle so leftover materials and sew them into my relatively worn out plain black carrying case. Thank you for the inspiration!! have a beautiful day. It is sunny and just gorgeous here in Vancouver. Love and joy

1 Like

Brilliant! I’m glad to be the bringer of some inspiration :yellow_heart: The sun shines on us today, so let’s go out and play!

1 Like

Wow, this so inspirational! Thank you for sharing… Your bag is so beautiful and you can feel the love in the picture. Other handpans have to be so so jealous. :wink: