Homemade Carrying Bag for my Handpan!

Hello everyone!
I’m between exams at the moment, so I thought I would share a project that I did last year. As my Design Exam Project last year I made a handpan carrying bag with a focus on redesign and using secondhand materials.

The whole thing is made out of secondhand denim skirts, leftover cottons from other sewing projects, and some thick soy-cotton blend I found at a flea market. Even the zippers and buckles are from clothes and gear that has been sacrificed to the redesign cause!

The project was a five-week process, during which I made miniatures and mockups, as well as some 30-40 test patches for figuring out design and techniques. I boiled the whole thing down to more of a display-friendly format here - so I hope you enjoy, and maybe even get a little inspired :wink: :yellow_heart:

24 Likes

Super beautiful and ecological project I love that. Does that case protect the handpan from beats or its only to carry?

1 Like

Thank you! It’s padded by a folded and quilted fabric that sits inbetween the outer shells and the casing for the pan. So I would say it has a light to medium padding. It’s not as safe as the turtle bag that came with it, but it makes up for that in being smaller and more handy :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yo this is beautiful and so inspiring! I love the zipper pouch :ok_hand: Way to go with the upcycling! I bet your handpan can feel the love whenever you’re carrying it around now :flying_saucer: :heart:

Keep it up and please share any new projects!

2 Likes

Thank you very much! :yellow_heart: I’m really proud of the outer pockets, since I’ve never made anything like them before, and I just sat down and figured it out :blush:
I’m trying out some different materials and techniques to macramé around the edge of the pan itself, I’ll post that when it’s done :wink:

2 Likes

It’s really beautiful! I want one!

1 Like

Thank you! I’m very glad you like it! :yellow_heart:
I have been considering to make and sell more of my artwork and practical crafts. I will definitely let you know if I make another bag, I’d be happy to discuss size, price, and preferences in colors and styles!

1 Like

@markessio_892 on insta let me know :blush:

1 Like

Love it! Such a unique design! Just beautiful

1 Like

Thank you very much! It’s meant to represent an abstracted sunset :yellow_heart:

1 Like

It’s a perfect way showing the connection of nature and the sound.

1 Like

Funnily enough, the theme for the assignment was “Ro/Uro” which means “Calm/Unrest”, and we were limited to gathering inspiration in the Royal Park in Oslo. So, naturally, I sat in the park and played during a brilliant sunset, and that’s where the whole idea originated. The whole calm/unrest contrast fit perfectly :smiley:

2 Likes

Beautiful work Oeyan, happy for you!
I am inspired to recycle so leftover materials and sew them into my relatively worn out plain black carrying case. Thank you for the inspiration!! have a beautiful day. It is sunny and just gorgeous here in Vancouver. Love and joy

1 Like

Brilliant! I’m glad to be the bringer of some inspiration :yellow_heart: The sun shines on us today, so let’s go out and play!

1 Like