Sam Maher - New York (Cover)

Hi everyone!

After studying Sam’s Masterclass more consistently this year I was able to capture this recording of ‘New York’:

It’s far from perfect, but I hope it’s able to encourage some of you to keep progressing through Sam’s Masterclass. And please don’t hesitate to share your feedback with me :blush:

13 Likes

Bro F%$# you! Well done! love it and am super inspired! Absolutley a fantastic start. crush it!

4 Likes

That was awesome my friend, what handpan are you using in this recording??

2 Likes

Haha thank you man! That’s very kind :pray:

1 Like

Thanks so much! It’s a Celestial Sound C# Shahmaran 10 (AnnaZiska/Kurd/Aeolian): https://www.celestialsound.com.au/ (the 10th note is a high B4 but I don’t use it in this cover :blush:)

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply, I really appreciate it, keep up the outstanding playing😁

2 Likes

awesome cover. time well spent :wink: :rocket:

2 Likes

Thank you! @NikFunnell :pray: :grin:

1 Like

Absolutely amazing, thanks for your imspiration :pray:t3::notes::musical_note::notes::orange_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you for your kind words Jochen! :pray: :blush:

1 Like

This is super beautiful sweet!

2 Likes

Thank you Kelvin! :blush:

1 Like

Hey @panambient_au, this is fantastic! Great work!

I’m also working on Sam’s master class right now. I’m admittedly a novice trying something that’s definitely above my weight class. I have been profoundly stuck on the main groove section for a while now. I can’t quite seem to figure out how to bring it all together. Would it be possible for you to post a short video slowly breaking down the main groove section? I’ve tried slowing down Sam’s video on Master the Handpan, but still having issues.

3 Likes

Thanks for the kind words, Jon! To be honest I’m not sure I’d be able to break down the section much clearer than Sam. And I still haven’t quite mastered his ghost-note technique! However, I did spend a lot of time only playing the groove with one hand at a time. As the groove started to feel comfortable on my left hand I started incorporating the right hand (one stroke at a time). Eventually, it all started to flow. I hope this helps? Thanks!

3 Likes

nice ! very inspiring

1 Like

Thanks @lucas, appreciate your kind words :pray: