Transpose any notes to a D Celtic Minor handpan

Hi , I am new in this handpan community.
Is there someone experienced in transposing notes to handpan notes?
Would like to know, how to use the techniqe for songs who have a “B” note, which I am not able to play with my D Celtic Minor handpan. Looking forward to any helpful answer.
Stay safe and blessings from Germany

1 Like

I’m having the same problem. Can you substitute with the closest sounding note? I’ve found some cello music that fits in my drum’s range. I have a steel tongue drum not a hand pan though. I’m still learning how to read music and just play intuitively right now. I know what my notes are at least; I’ve gotten that far.

Hi, the D Celtic Minor has neither the note B nor the note B flat. In my opinion, whether and how you can replace them with other tones depends on the musical context. You just have to try it out. For example, on the well-known piece “Once Again” by Hang Massive, which is played on a Kurd scale, it does not work well to replace the note B flat. But there are also other examples where a change, for example from a Kurd to a Celtic mood, is possible. This is the case, for example, with the handpan cover of “Time after Time” that I recently posted here. I hope this helps a little.

1 Like

I love that song. I think I’ve listened to your cover a dozen times now.

2 Likes

Hi,

There is an app in Google’s Play Store named “Transposing Helper” that maybe useful.

2 Likes

I have a D Celtic Minor and found this when playing ‘happy birthday’, it worked for me to strike the 3&5 at the same time. Just see what works and you can get around it!